Monday 29 April 2013

Something happy to brighten up your Monday

I find Greek Mythology an incredibly interesting subject and am doing my best to read up on all the legends, myths and stories. There's a quote I found which I find to be absoutely lovely. It's only a short one but the theory behind it is, quite frankly, adorable.

It was originally written in Plato's Symposium (a document about love and philosophy)

"According to Greek mythology, humans were first created with two heads, two hearts, four arms and four legs. Zeus was frightened of these humans as he feared their power and because of this, he decided to split them in half.

Each 'half' human was thus condemned to spend their lives finding their other halves."

I find this fascinating, although subtly morbid. In my eyes, the humans weren't "condemned" to find their other half; to me it just makes things into a romantic adventure, trying to find your one true love.

Zeus

No comments:

Post a Comment